Thursday 17 September 2015

Saturday Night Fever - The Musical



I do love going on a night of musical performance, may it be a concert or a play/theatre. So, when I heard about Saturday Night Fever was coming to town, I quickly booked two tickets for me and the wife.


Come 12th Sep, to mark the first day of my 2 weeks off from work, me and my wife headed towards Istana Budaya, Kuala Lumpur for the highly anticipated show. Heck, I even spun the OST LP in the morning to create the mood.

However, our night was spoilt by very bad acting of the lead role playing Tony. From his mumbling dialogue to exaggerating role of Tony (trying too hard to imitate John Travolta?) and being too flamboyant. To complete the misery was the fact that most of the casts were Asians e.g. Filipinos or Chinese. It did not create the American 70s atmosphere that I hoped for. I mean, I came to see the 70s America, not an Asian play. Its like watching Miss Saigon with Rita Wilson as the lead role. Uuuuurrghh!!!

Sorry.. but the show was lame. I had to watch the original movie again to restore my faith in how good and iconic the movie was. Not worth the amount I paid for the ticket.

No comments: